Paul Marais was born in Porterville, Western Cape, South Africa. He qualified and worked in the Information Technology sector before pursuing a career in the Visual Arts. The worlds of cinema and music, as well as the urban landscape, are major contributors to the visual language he employs.
Currently, he is exploring his urban surroundings through the act of painting. The gestural mark and the use of colour are vital to this investigation.
- 2004 – Porterville High School, Senior Certificate, Distinction
- 2005 – CTI Education Group, diploma in Information Technology, Distinction
- 2014-2017 – Stellenbosch University, Bachelors Degree in Visual Art (Fine Art), Cum Laude
2016 – Runner-up in Sasol New Signatures competition for the video, ‘Delicates’
- 2015- Drawing show at GUS Gallery, Stellenbosch
- 2016- Sasol New Signatures exhibition at Pretoria Art Museum
- 2016- Open air animation evening, Pretoria
- 2017- Crumbs group exhibition at Gus Gallery, Stellenbosch
- 2017- Blink group exhibition at Cavalli Gallery, Stellenbosch
- 2017- Gradex group exhibition at Stellenbosch Visual Arts Department
- 2018- Literally / Letterlik group exhibition at Absolut Art Gallery, Stellenbosch
- 2018- Sequence & Formation group exhibition at Absolut Art Gallery, Stellenbosch