Marguerite Roux was born in 1991 in the Karoo town Beaufort West. She grew up in Wellington in the Cape Winelands and matriculated from La Rochelle Girls’ High School in Paarl. In 2018 Roux obtained her MA Visual Arts degree from the University of Stellenbosch, prior to which she completed a BAVA (Fine Arts) degree from the same institution in 2014. In 2014 Roux was awarded the Keith Dietrich Award for students who pass their final year with a distinction as well as the Timo Smuts prize for top academic achiever in Fine Arts. Marguerite Roux is a three time top 100 finalist in the Sasol New Signatures Award competition.
Since graduating in 2014 Roux has taken part in a number of group exhibitions, the most prominent being Greatest Hits: The Domestic Oddyssey presented by the AVA Gallery in 2015 and Hinterlands: The Keith Dietrich Award Exhibition at GUS in the same year. Roux’s work will be shown at the 4th Istanbul Design Biennial as part of Emelie Röndahl‘s project Google Weaving Stop-Time from September to November 2018.
- Master of Arts in Visual Arts (Cum Laude), Stellenbosch University, 2018
- Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts (Fine Arts), Stellenbosch University, 2014
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Top 100 Finalist in the Sasol New Signatures Award Competition, 2017
- Top 100 Finalist in the Sasol New Signatures Award Competition, 2015
- Awarded the Timo Smuts Award for top academic achiever in Fine Arts, 2014
- Awarded the Keith Dietrich Award for completing Fine Arts IV cum laude, 2014
- Top 100 Finalist in the Sasol New Signatures Award Competition, 2014
- Awarded the Golden Key Award for academic excellence, 2011
- Awarded the Redelinghuys Trophy for most promising art student, 2008